Friday 18 November 2011

Beaujolais Neuv'owww'

If you are talking to anyone from Lyon this weekend, be gentle and speak softly, as the Lyonnais are showing their annual ability to never let bad wine get between them and a good party.
Yes, Le Nouveau est arrivé.


It is said that Lyon has 3 rivers - the Saône, the Rhône and the Beaujolais, and celebrations are being held all weekend.
Officially it was released just after midnight yesterday, though it was available from the shops on Wednesday. When I asked about this I was told that you're not supposed to open it till after midnight. Hmmmm.
I have to admit it is a great piece of marketing, everyone knows about the Nouveau, and there are special menus, degustations, even chocolates.  It is exported around the world, Japan imports large quantities and in the US it is drunk with many a Thanksgiving meal, there are cross Channel races and even a marathon around 11 of the Beaujolais villages but the undeniable fact remains that it is a bad wine.

So last night I was given a teeny, tiny glass to taste. I was happy to stop after one sip but Guillaume made me drink it all and because of that, I have an amazing hangover today. (Which, indecently, has nothing to do with the vodkas, mojitos and shooters I consumed till the wee small hours of the mornings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment