Monday 9 November 2009

Last Thursday, whilst in the bar, I was served my vodka and tonic in a plastic glass???? This was strange and unusual and turned out to be a result of the previous day's football. Obviously, without realising it, I must look like a football hooligan and I am not sure whether to take this as a compliment or an insult - am heading towards the insult end of the scale.

I donot like football, I would not go so far as to say I hated it but I don't really enjoy it. I have only ever been to two football matches in my life, one of which was a recent Lyon game; there was a free ticket going and I thought why not do something different. During the match I had chatted to my friend and though I had seen the only goal of the match,(and was able to describe it in detail "Oh, the tall guy with plaits headed it accross the goal mouth to a smaller guy with short mousey hair who was sweating a lot.") I was completely unable to say who had scored it when it came up as a quiz question 3 days later.

The plastic glass was because of the Lyon/Liverpool game. I know a lot of Liverpool supporters in Lyon as well as a lot of Lyon supporters in Lyon. I was aware the match was taking place, which for me is quite an achievement as usually the whole football season thing goes over my head -"You can't come to the cinema/shops/restaurant this saturday because of the football? What football?"
This was apparently a BIG match, which the Liverpool supporters in Lyon had been wanting for years. Discussions had been going on for sometime about exactly when the match was and how to get tickets, where the best seats would be, and if they couldn't get tickets which would be the best bar to go to, what time to get there, who was going to be there, I had even been informed by the cook at work that she had seen 3 Liverpool supporters on the Metro. Things were serious. Even I realised that any suggestions of 'It's just a game' were unadvisable.

So what was I to do? Find an appropriate coloured shirt and a group of supporters and sing either "Allez l'OL" or "You'll never walk alone" as needed and fob myself off as a real supporter? In the end I remained true to my beliefs and after work I went home, had a bath and an early night. Oh, and the next got indignant about being served a drink in a plastic glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment